Zix Corporation (NASDAQ: ZIXI) is engaged as a leader within the email security market, which is used and trusted by confidential organizations like government, healthcare, and finance. The company’s security entails email encryption, data loss prevention, threat protection, information archiving, and bring your own device (BYOD) mobile security. Shares of the email security company are rallying 25.27%, through early trading on Friday, May 3, 2019. Over the past three months, Zix Corporation has seen average daily volume of 692,690 shares. However, volume of 1.65 million shares or dollar volume of $17.01 million, has already exchanges hands during early trading on Friday.
Shares of Zix Corporation are gaining on Friday, after the company reported first quarter 2019 earnings results. During the first quarter, the company saw revenues surge 76% to $29.3 million, GAAP net loss of $8.7 million, adjusted EBITDA grew 20% to $5.8 million, and GAAP diluted earnings per share loss of $0.17. Overall, the company saw strong revenue growth, but Zix’s bottom-line profitability was weaker than compared to results in first quarter 2018. Here is the full press release detailing of the earnings results:
Zix Corporation Press Release:
Strong Business Momentum Yields 14% Organic Revenue Growth, Driven by Record New First Year Orders and Higher Attach Rates
Zix Corporation (Zix) (ZIXI), a leader in email security, today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2019.
First Quarter 2019 Financial Highlights (results compared to the same year-ago quarter)
- Revenue increased 76% to $29.3 million. Standalone Zix revenue (which excludes revenue from the AppRiver acquisition, which closed on February 20, 2019) increased 10% to $18.4 million. Total overall organic revenue growth across Zix and AppRiver was 14%.
- Annual recurring revenue (ARR) increased 175% to $188.0 million. Standalone Zix ARR increased 15% to $78.3 million. Total overall organic ARR growth across Zix and AppRiver was 16%.
- Standalone Zix New First Year Orders (NFYO) increased 74% to a record $4.0 million.
- Total billings increased 15% to $28.5 million.
- GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders totaled $8.7 million compared to a net income of $1.9 million. The company’s net loss attributable to common shareholders includes a deemed and accrued dividend of $2.4 million to preferred shareholders.
- GAAP fully diluted earnings (loss) per share attributable to common stockholders totaled ($0.17) compared to $0.04.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income before deemed dividends excluding deferred tax (benefit) expense totaled $3.8 million compared to $4.3 million. Our Q1, 2019 Non-GAAP earnings exclude $7.0 million of acquisition related expenses.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income before deemed dividends per share excluding deferred tax (benefit) expense totaled $0.07 compared to $0.08.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased 20% to $5.8 million, representing an adjusted EBITDA margin of 19.8%.
- The company ended the quarter with $16.7 million in cash.
“The first quarter of 2019 was positive in a number of meaningful ways: we closed the acquisition of AppRiver, successfully executed on our previously communicated cost-savings initiatives, and delivered 20%+ growth of Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR) at AppRiver along with 74% New First Year Orders growth at Zix. We topped off Q1 by winning the largest deal in the company’s history with a top 5 U.S. bank,” said David Wagner, Zix’s Chief Executive Officer. “As a consolidated team, we achieved 76% GAAP revenue growth and 14% overall organic revenue growth in Q1, and our adjusted EBITDA increased 20% to $5.8 million. In addition, the integration of AppRiver is proceeding rapidly, with several important milestones achieved ahead of schedule: Zix’s email encryption solution was integrated into AppRiver’s platform and made available to their more than 4,500 MSP partners on April 25th and Office 365 was made available to Zix partners beginning on May 1st. This is truly an exciting time to be at Zix. Our growth strategy of expanding our product suite in the cloud is accelerating our ability to cross-sell and increase our attach rates. We are already seeing the benefits of operating at a larger scale and expanding our addressable market. Taken together, the successes of Q1 further support our commitment to our profitable growth strategy and our ability to continue to deliver meaningful returns to our shareholders.”
Zix’s Chief Financial Officer Dave Rockvam added: “We’re pleased to once again generate revenue and adjusted EPS above our guidance, demonstrating solid execution from our sales teams and the market’s increasing adoption of our email security solutions. Excluding AppRiver, Zix’s standalone ARR increased 15% year-over-year to a record $78.3 million, as we continued to drive new customer acquisition, higher cross-sell and upselling activity, and higher retention. With respect to AppRiver, we drove 21% organic ARR growth and record levels of customer trials. After more than three years of hard work and dedication from the entire team, it’s encouraging to not only see the business continue to grow profitably, but to also have the opportunity to propel Zix to the next level by marrying our established strengths in email security with our new productivity solution capabilities. We could not have asked for a better opportunity to create value for our employees, customers, partners and shareholders, and we will look to aggressively build on our momentum to realize this tremendous value-add potential.”
Recent Operational Highlights
- Closed the acquisition of AppRiver, a leading cloud-based cybersecurity solutions provider, creating significant scale and accelerating growth, attractive cross-selling opportunities, and a strengthened position in the cloud-based email security market.
- Completed $8 million of cost savings 12 months ahead of plan
- Secured largest deal in the company’s history with a three-year agreement with a top five U.S. bank
- Integrated and launched ZixEncrypt for AppRiver’s 4,500+ MSP partners
- Integrated and launched Office 365 productivity solutions for Zix’s direct sales teams and channel partners
- Launched ZixSuite, a cloud-based business communications security and compliance solution that combines advanced threat protection, business email continuity, email encryption, email DLP and unified archiving, all managed from a centralized interface.
- Expanded unified archiving solution ZixArchive beyond email to include 48 new business communication channels, including social media, instant message, mobile, web, audio and video.
First Quarter 2019 Corporate Financial Summary and Other Operational Metrics (1)
|$ in Millions, except per share data||Q1 2019||Q1 2018||Change (2)|
|GAAP Net Income (Loss) Attributable to Common Stockholders||($8.7||)||$||1.9||NM|
|GAAP Net Income (Loss) Per Share Attributable to Common Stockholders – Diluted||($0.17||)||$||0.04||NM|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Attributable to Common Stockholders (4)||$||1.3||$||4.3||(69.3||%)|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Per Share Attributable to Common Stockholders – Diluted (4)||$||0.03||$||0.08||(66.3||%)|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Before Deemed Dividends Excluding Deferred Tax (Benefit) Expense||$||3.8||$||4.3||(12.8||%)|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Per Share Before Deemed Dividends Diluted||$||0.09||$||0.06||45.2||%|
|Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Before Deemed Dividends Per Share Excluding Deferred Tax (Benefit) Expense||$||0.07||$||0.08||(11.5||%)|
|Adjusted EBITDA (4)||$||5.8||$||4.8||20.2||%|
|Adjusted EBITDA Margin (4)||19.8||%||29.0||%||(9.2 pts)|
|Standalone Zix New First Year Orders||$||4.0||$||2.3||73.9||%|
|Standalone Zix Total Orders||$||22.4||$||14.8||51.5||%|
NM = not meaningful
(1) Metrics include results from AppRiver, unless otherwise specified
(2) Changes are based on actual numbers versus numbers shown in the columns, which may reflect rounding
(3) Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization
(4) A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results is included in this press release and available on the Zix investor relations website at http://investor.zixcorp.com
For the second quarter of 2019, the company forecasts revenue to range between $44.5 million and $45.0 million. The company forecasts fully diluted GAAP earnings (loss) per share to be in a range of ($0.05) and ($0.03) and fully diluted non-GAAP adjusted earnings per share to be between $0.11 and $0.12 for the second quarter of 2019. The financial outlook includes a required GAAP adjustment on the deferred revenue acquired from AppRiver for purchased revenue accounting.
For the fiscal year of 2019, the company is increasing its previously disclosed revenue guidance to a range of between $167.0 million to $169.0 million (previously $164.0 million to $167.0 million), representing an increase of between 135% and 140% (previously 134% and 138%) compared to fiscal year 2018. The company forecasts fully diluted GAAP earnings (loss) per share guidance to a range of between ($0.26) and ($0.20) [previously ($0.12) and ($0.01)] and is increasing its fully diluted non-GAAP adjusted earnings per share to a range of between $0.40 and $0.42 (previously $0.30 and $0.33) for fiscal year 2019. The financial outlook includes approximately 10 months of AppRiver financial results consolidated into Zix and also includes a required GAAP adjustment on the deferred revenue acquired from AppRiver for purchased revenue accounting.
Zix is targeting ARR of approximately $202 million to $209 million (previously $200 million to $207 million) at fiscal 2019 year end, representing a growth rate of approximately 12% to 16% (previously 11% to 15%) year-over-year. Zix management is also expecting revenue of approximately $47.5 million to $50 million with a 24% adjusted EBITDA margin in the fourth quarter of 2019.
Conference Call Information
Management will discuss these financial results and outlook on a conference call today (May 2, 2019) at 5:00 p.m. ET (2:00 p.m. PT).
A live webcast of the conference call will be available in the investor relations section of Zix’s website here. Alternatively, participants can access the conference call by dialing 1-855-853-6940 (U.S. toll-free) or 1-720-634-2906 (international) at least 15 minutes before the call and entering access code 8354249. If you have any difficulty connecting with the conference call, please contact Liolios Group at 1-949-574-3860.
An audio replay of the conference will be available for seven days, by dialing 1-855-859-2056 (U.S. toll-free) or 1-404-537-3406 (international) and entering the access code 8354249. An archive of the webcast will also be available on the Zix investor relations website.
About Zix Corporation
Zix Corporation (Zix) is a leader in email security. Trusted by the nation’s most influential institutions in healthcare, finance and government, Zix delivers a superior experience and easy-to-use solutions for email encryption and data loss prevention, advanced threat protection, unified information archiving and bring your own device (BYOD) mobile security. Focusing on the protection of business communication, Zix enables its customers to better secure data and meet compliance needs. Zix is publicly traded on the Nasdaq Global Market under the symbol ZIXI. For more information, visit www.zixcorp.com.
Statements in this release that are not purely historical facts or that necessarily depend upon future events, including statements about forecasts of sales, revenue, earnings or earnings per share, potential benefits of acquisitions and strategic relationships, or other statements about anticipations, beliefs, expectations, hopes, intentions or strategies for the future, may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements are based upon information available to Zix on the date this release was issued. Zix undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Any forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual events or results to differ materially from the events or results described in the forward-looking statements, including but not limited to risks or uncertainties related to the completion and integration of acquisitions, the effects of our debt and equity financing transactions, year-end adjustments to previously reported preliminary unaudited financial information, market acceptance of both existing and new Zix solutions, changing market dynamics resulting from technological change, innovation and continuing customer migration to the cloud, changes in the competitive ecosystem, and how privacy and data security laws may affect demand for Zix data protection solutions. Zix may not succeed in addressing these and other risks. Further information regarding factors that could affect Zix’s business and its financial and other results can be found in the risk factors section of Zix’s most recent annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly report on Form 10-Q, each as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, as those risk factors may be supplemented in subsequent filings.